Thursday 8 July 2010

Should information be free?

As this is a new blog, I probably should give you a small windows into my mind to allow you, if you so wish, to gain a little insight as to why I’ve started it. But to do that, I’ve had to ask myself ‘why’? It has been a rather long, draw out process answering that question. In most part due to my general inertia. Laziness and procrastination are the reins that have ruled my life, guided further by a crop of fear. Both facets working together to steer me down a path of least resistance. Fear of failure manifests itself almost physically within me. When I have these flashes of my destitute future, I have a wave of panic jolt through my body, I go dizzy and nauseous. To compensate for this, the voice of laziness breathes ‘why bother?’ and my procrastination finds this comforting, which, in turn, I find comforting. Even as I’m writing this, those three evil bastards are conspiring against me. Have a drink, go to the toilet, smoke a cigarette, walk around, just do anything. Don’t finish this piece and for God sake don’t publish it. Don’t let people see this. My fingers feel numb and I have so many ideas, words, sentences sparking around my head it’s making it near impossible to write this. So this is it. This is my first blog. The first time I have started and finished anything of any worth in what may be my entire life. As you can probably guess from the title, this wasn’t how I intended this piece. I was going to write a segment on information and its value, and how that value is measured and try to bludgeon that into my reasoning for starting a blog. But as I started writing it, as I saw these thoughts and feelings in print for the first time I just had the desire to run with it. To say compelled would be hyperbolic, but coming from such a state of ennui to this is at least enlightening. Kerouac thought that the first feeling is the most pure, and therefore the closest to truth. I have always thought this to be pretentious bollocks. But going with that first feeling is what has produced this. It has allowed me to see a truth I had never seen before. Not to say I am comparing myself with Kerouac in anyway, but at least I now understand some of his methods. This may well be a terrible piece. Like I’ve mentioned, I just ran with it. I’ve only gone back to correct mistakes and make sure it reads in some fashion. You may dismiss it as throw away, clunky, pretentious nonsense. It may well be. But to me it’s honest. Sure I could have gone with my initial idea, and there would have been some truth in it. But it wouldn’t have been honest. The reason I started this blog is because I’m a lazy bastard and no longer wish to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment